Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Happy Birthday, My Little M&M

I got to experience the beginning of a new life today. Little M&M was born by cesarian to one of my best friends around noon, weighing in at over 8 pounds and 21 inches (I'm off, I know... he was bigger than both of those... forgive me!).

We're so excited to see him. We've been waiting so long.

These are the moments that life is about, the moments that keep us alive. The utter joy on my friends' faces as they held their baby was almost too much to bear. I love them both, and the love that they have for their child is amazing. How do we do this? How do we hold such a capacity to love?

I think about my parents, about being a parent. There is such risk involved. And the world is really such a crappy little place. Even as M&M was born today, I hear on the radio about the government in Burma preparing to "deal with" the protests of the peaceful buddhist monks. The unbalanced state of healthcare in this country (lucky for Milo he wasn't born too poor). The inmates claiming that lethal injection is "cruel and unusual." These things, too, occupy my thoughts, alongside M&M's appearance.

And yet, I can't bring myself to agree with friends that have said it's irresponsible to bring a child into this world. I can't quite believe that we are that far gone.

I stood outside this evening and I thought about us humans. I thought about little M&M and the power in the choice his parents made to bring him into this world. I thought about the beautiful weather today. I considered this birth of a million opportunities.

It doesn't really matter, I think, the way things turn out. It's not worth worrying about because we do have these things: we have birth, we have beauty, we have absolute truths, and we have love. I believe that life is worth living anyway, despite the shitty bits. It's hard to defend this position. It's hard to say oh well, and live.

But there is so much beauty to be had. There is so much joy to share. I saw it all in the faces of my friends as they held their new child, and I was reminded again to get up, to go on, to embrace the future.

Thanks, little M&M. We all owe you so much already, after your very few hours here with us.

No comments: